Pappa Al Pomodoro (Italian Tomato Soup)

8:14 PM


For this week's meal plan I'm uncharacteristically winging it. Thanks to a busy weekend and ANOTHER winter storm, I was scrambling just to go grocery shopping before getting snowed in. So I did what umdaddy often does and bought anything that looked fresh, only later to figure out what to make for dinner.

I'm a planner. I like to follow a recipe (or use one to start with and modify as needed). So this week I'm a little out of my comfort zone. But can happily report we have yet to order take out!

I did have the wherewithal to buy basic ingredients to make a mirepoix (celery, onion, carrots) for a soup base. Plus with a handy stash of Muir Glen canned tomatoes, I knew I could whip up some soup perfect for a snowy day. Next time I'm making a double batch of a tweaked version of this soup from the Barefoot Contessa -- so I can freeze some and defrost for that day when I'm staring at a fridge with cilantro, pickles and a pomegranate (because they looked good at the time I was shopping).

Pappa al Pomodoro
Adapted from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups (about half a loaf) diced day-old ciabatta bread
  • 2 28-oz canned good diced tomatoes (san marzano or Muir Glen)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1 tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
  • Salt and pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. 
  2. Add the ciabatta cubes and rosemary and cook for 5 more minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes to the pot along with the chicken broth, red wine, 1 tbs salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring soup to a boil, lower heat and simmer partially covered, for 45 minutes.
  4. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed and drizzle with additional olive oil and top with grated parmesan cheese.

You Might Also Like

0 comments